Dr. Aisha Simjee MD – Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. Aisha Simjee is a remarkable physician and person who has dedicated her professional life and all her free time to helping others around the world. Her unparalleled compassion and passion for helping others is an inspiration for all of us.
Dr. Simjee has traveled around the world to more than 30 countries including El Salvador, Thailand, Vietnam, Armenia, Romania, Afghanistan, Nepal, India, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and others, to provide free surgical services to those patients in need. She most recently visited the Syrian border to provide support and medical care for the many thousands of Syrian refugees.
She completed her medical degree with honors while in Burma, and then moved to the United States to complete a research fellowship at the prestigious Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Dr. Simjee then completed her residency at Howard University, and went on to her cornea fellowship in at the nationally known Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. As a true scholar, she also completed fellowships in ophthalmic pathology and medical retina at the Sheie Eye Institute in Philadelphia.
Aisha Simjee, MD, is beloved and highly respected in the Southern California medical community as a board-certified, fellowship-trained and compassionate ophthalmologist. She is known as an expert in corneal disease, and has performed numerous corneal transplant and cataract surgeries around the world. She has received considerable recognition for her charitable work locally and globally, including the following awards:
- 1990 Annual Women of Achievement Award, Rancho Santiago Community College, Santa Ana, California
- Certificates of Recognition from the following officials:
- California State Senator John Seymour
- California Congressman Christopher Cox
- California Lieutenant Governor Leo McCarthy
- 1993 Values in Action Award for Service, St. Joseph Hospital
- 2004 Humanitarian Services Award, Orange County Board of Supervisors
- 2005 Pride in the Profession Award, American Medical Association
- 2006 Women of Vision Award, We Give Thanks
- 2010 Physician of the Year Award, Orange County Medical Association
- 2012 UCI School of Medicine Voluntary Faculty J. Edward Berk Physician Award for Humanitarian Services